Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Film Noir

A cinematic term used to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize moral ambiguity and sexual motivation. Film noir of this period is associated with a low-key black and white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography, while many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Depression.

I am in French 452, which studies the aesthetics of crime in classic French film. I have never taken a film class before, but I am fascinated by the techniques behind it and I now have a greater appreciation for film as an art form, and especially for the film noir period. It is amazing.

If my exciting description of film noir has not tickled your fancy, here's a small taste of the film noir era:



Alain Delon. Pretty much France's Brad Pitt in the 1950s. If this does not make you want to sit down and watch a film noir RIGHT NOW starring him, I don't know what will.

6 comments:

Casey said...

hey aubs!! very cute blog. Love the design!

byufish said...

When and where? That's all I have to say!!

Sara said...

dude you are in some pretty advanced french classes. thats all i can say. oh and i saw a little baby french book in the bookstore that was like french/english colors and shapes. I thought of you. hahahaha. serious though.

Elle Keeps Moving said...

Aubrey! I found you too! I am so excited about your blog - it entertained me for at least a half hour, possibly longer, last night so looks like I'm the one that should be embarrassed. I think we're gonna be great friends.

allison said...

that is a very nice looking man. i don't think i've ever seen a film noir movie...i think i will now, thanks for educating me.

{tanner. michelle. owen} said...

Hey Aubs!

So glad you found me too! Such a cute blog. It's fun to see what you are up to. I have to warn you though, I'm the worst blogger ever! I like to look at other peoples though:).

Michelle