Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Oh Canada!

Russ and I just got back from a trip to British Columbia and Alberta with his family! Despite cold and rainy weather, we had a blast! I guess that's America's way of slapping us for leaving her soil on her birthday.

Here's Konrad and Russ securing our luggage on the top of the car. They did this often.
Our first stop was Spokane, Washington, where we enjoyed 4th of July booths, outdoor music, and plenty of carnival food. Nothing not to like about this city!

The first difference I noticed in Canada - their Golden Arch has a cute little maple leaf in it!

We had fun swimming in our aunt and uncle's pool. Pay no attention to all the black make-up under my eyes.

Alison and I at Glacier National Park - the mountains were breathtaking!

Russ and I went for a walk in Golden. I was really afraid of being attacked by a bear, but the scenery was gorgeous!

Takakkaw Falls - the second-highest waterfall in western Canada. I looked it up and Takakkaw is derived from the Cree word for "it is wonderful". Yes, it is.

Beautiful Lake Louise! The water is green because of rock flour that is carried into the lake by melted water from the glaciers. Very cool.

How convenient that this official-looking Mountee was waiting for us to take a picture with him!

Downtown Calgary has a much more impressive skyline than Salt Lake City.

We went to the world-famous Rocky's Burger Bus. Russell the carnivore finally met his match at the self-proclaimed "home of the meat orgy." He ate himself sick!

We ate lunch with some of the Lee cousins that live close to Calgary. It was fun to meet new family and visit.

We went to our cousins' house and they live by a manmade community lake. It was beautiful!

Audrey and I got a rowboat ride. It was really fun.

The most hilarious road sign we saw on our drive home. For 5,000 years, Indians used this cliff to drive buffalo off and kill them.

We stopped at the Cardston temple on the way home. The temple was gorgeous and very unique. I'm happy that families are forever.

Konrad and Diane, thank you so much for the trip! I'm so happy we had the chance to go. I loved Canada and I hope to visit again soon!

8 comments:

Elle Keeps Moving said...

So that is where you sly dogs have been! I'm so jealous - looks like you guys had a ton of fun. I am excited that we can finally have you guys over for dinner now. I am also really excited to report that Jared and I are no longer in Primary (although we are cub scout masters - uh, scouts? weird.) so I will see you back in Relief Society!

mj said...

fun! i wish we could've come! i hope you're enjoying your summer

Sara said...

Dude I went to head-smashed-in-buffalo jump for some like 6th grade field trip bahahah. I love that you went to all those places. crappy about the weather, but true about the slap from america for leaving her soil. I love you. cant wait to see you

Stephanie Salmon said...

Looks like we stood in the same place! Check out the picture on the right side bar of my blog of us with the Calgary skyline behind us. Fun!

Alison Margot Lee said...

Aubrey! Love it. I loved that trip. It was so fun.

zookie said...

I'm struggling to understand the symbolism of the Lee cousins being gathered outside the Law Offices.

Also, you look scared to death to be in the rowboat, but I'm just going to blame it on the first rays of sun that finally graced the traitor country this July

Alison Margot Lee said...

wow. You can tell in that picture of me and you at Glacier park..that I gained 1 million pounds! My arms look like giant sausages.
Love the blog.

allison said...

Well Paubrey, I miss you. This blog cracked me up several times.