Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Life's Full Of Hilarious Contradictions

In the summer, I can't wait for fall and winter. But in the winter, I long for spring and summer.

I never run into the people I really want to see, and I always run into the people I do not wish to see at the most inopportune moments.

I gripe about homework and can't wait for school to be over, but I am terrified to graduate and enter the real world.

I look forward to payday, but then as soon as it comes, my money disappears - spent on dumb necessary things faster than I know where it's gone.

When I read a really good book, I can't wait to finish it, but at the same time I want it to last forever.

I do not like exercising and I try to get out of it whenever possible, but I love the feeling of shaky legs after a really long run and sore abs after pilates.

I love the lazy feeling of having nothing I need to do, but I hate the bored feeling of having nothing to do. That's why...as much as I have enjoyed the drowsy leisureliness of summer...I am really looking forward to the bustling industriousness of being a student again. I love school. I thrive on structure, challenge, accomplishment, and deadlines. I love new notebooks and binders and gluesticks and markers and mechanical pencils (even though the only new thing I really need is a notebook). I love the excitement in the air on the first day of school. I love the vitality brought to the campus by those eager and overzealous freshmen students who honestly have no idea what they're in for. I love the fact that the first day of school is when we all get excited and try to break out our fall wardrobes, even though it's still 95 degrees outside. I love it all. I can't wait for August 31st.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Sad! I want to be going back to school!

Sara said...

The first day of school freaks me out!!!

mj said...

I love the fresh start, but I hate the end of summer. I get really sad every year. The only thing that keep me going through fall is the idea of Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas...ooh and don't forget Labor Day! Good luck tomorrow.

Alison Margot Lee said...

Ha. Aubrey you are hilarious.

Eric Layland said...

oh aub. i found your blog. and i agree one hundred percent with your feelings for school starting. especially those freshmen. i rollerskated to school today. i'm trying to be "that guy who roller skates to school".

huzzah.