Thursday, February 18, 2010

Summer Job, English Snob

I got a job! I'll be spending this summer as a teacher for the Institute of Reading Development. I will teach reading to kids from first to eleventh grade at different locations in Salt Lake, Ogden, West Jordan, Bountiful, and Murray. They reimburse me for gas. I'll teach two five-week sessions and they're sending me to California in April for in-person training. I start in May and finish in August. After hearing from so many graduated friends about how ruthless the world is and how difficult it is to find work, it feels really good and reassuring to know that I'll have a good job after I graduate in two months. TWO MONTHS! I'm thrilled to have found a job where I can teach reading skills and strategies and hopefully instill a love of books in young people.

Here's something hilarious. Last week, Russell was up late trying to peer review some papers for his English class. People had to pick a controversial topic. I decided to help Russ review them and I picked up a paper and the title said, "Why ban the Gentle bread of pit Bulls? Then Why not Kittens as well." This kid's chief argument was: "I love Pit bulls and I know they'd never purposefuly try to hurt any one. They have never tryed to hurt any people without being provoked. It's their Owners fault if Pit Bulls are vicious animalls. People who target pit Bulls are miss-taken." Perfect title, seriously flawed argument, atrocious writing, and such a joy to make fun of.

I am an English snob. It's the one thing I do well and I consider grammar blunders a source of humor. Especially when they are made in a public setting (See my earlier post on Cake Wrecks). I also love this website, which highlights the general public's tendency to erroneously surround words with quotations in order to create emphasis. WHY do people do this? How is it possible to confuse it's and its? Or there and their and they're? How can people write the sentence I made three pie's and feel okay about themselves? I'll never understand. Ever. On the other hand, I'll never understand economics or politics or the motivation behind watching an entire four-hour football game. Everybody's got different strengths and interests, and it's a good thing. Skills I wish had made it into my list of strengths: basketball, making crafty things, holding my breath underwater, and dancing like they do on Step Up 2: The Streets.

5 comments:

Sara said...

hahahah I love unnecessary quotation marks i laugh at that website all the time. CONGRATS ON THE JOB!!!!! VERY VERY VERY EXCITING. I am so happy for you. P.S. What did Russ write on the English paper? "You're an idiot" -- I would have if it was anonymous.

allison said...

Hahahaha, step up 2, i love it. I make fun of how Steven talks all the time...haha, that sounds horrible. But my favorite thing is when he tries to use a common saying and totally screws it up and it sounds so hilarious...but I'll never know how to do calculus, so there you go!

byufish said...

I knew there was something FAVULOUS about you Aubrey!! At least you ignored the overuse of exclamation points!!!!! See you soon eh?

Elle Keeps Moving said...

So awesome, Aubrey. I share your snobbery. I'll get emails from my friends where they start it by saying, "Now don't make fun of me if I spell something wrong or my grammar is off..." That has actually been a bit of a wake-up call for me, but I still love it.

Congrats on the job. So perfect for you!! Can't wait for you guys to move up here!!!!!

Jessica said...

Oh Aubrey. We share this passion of English snobbery. Some gems posted in the crazy school I work at:

"Parents: Please reframe from using your cell phones"
"Please see the field trip infraction below" (infraction = information)

I laugh hysterically inside my head all the time. Ridiculous. Anyway, congratulations on the job! Seriously, it's so nice to know you'll be making mula and doing something after the much anticipated graduation.

Also, have you seen Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights? Go watch it. I want to dance like that. So badly. Nate ditched the movie for a Lakers game, so this may be a flick to watch by yourself...