Monday, September 10, 2012

Strange Flights of Unconscious Fancy


From babycenter.org at 37 weeks:

"While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy."

That is so spot on for me. In the last week, I have dreamed the following scenarios:

  • The baby was born with a five o' clock shadow and his scruffy beard hurt my face when I tried to kiss him. Russ was proud; I was mortified.
  • The epidural needle was as thick as a hot dog.
  • Russ was playing a three-on-three basketball game while I was laboring and turned his phone off, so I couldn't get a hold of him to come to the hospital and the baby was born without him.
  • We didn't have our own apartment; instead we brought the baby to Nordstrom. I sat on one of those velvety couches and the swanky shoe salesmen looked at me with disgust as I ate a sandwich, wiped up spit up, and asked where I could shower.
  • When I tried to breastfeed the baby, milk shot out of me like water out of a garden hose. And it kept going. My mom showed up to help and said it was completely normal and that I would "leak" like that for another hour or so.
Despite the fact that these dreams begin my day with distress, everything else is going fine. I have weekly appointments now with my doctor, who is a gem. He always makes me feel relaxed and excited about what's happening in a few short weeks. 

I now have this thought in my head every time we go anywhere or do anything: "I wonder how many more three-hour naps I will take'," "I wonder how many more drives in the car where it's just you and me," "I wonder how many more times we will go to all three hours of church without interruption," or "I wonder how many more packages of frozen corn dogs we'll get through before the baby comes." It's a weird feeling -  I know that my life is about to change dramatically, and yet I can't really imagine what it will be like. To calm my fears of the unknown (since my dreams aren't helping anything), I am spending all my free time reading up and getting mentally prepared as well as taking inventory of all our baby goods and making sure we have the important things.

Although I grow increasingly more uncomfortable and whiny each day, I feel that my pregnancy has been relatively easy. I don't have anything else to compare it to, but I know I have managed to escape a lot of miserable things that happen to other pregnant women, so I count myself lucky.

At this very moment, the baby is hiccuping like mad inside me. Three more weeks until I get to meet him!

12 comments:

byufish said...

LOVED seeing you on Saturday!! And I am serious about my offer.....day or night.....well.....how about most days and anytime of night!! Love ya—Auntie C.

Sara said...

We miss you guys so much. Can't wait for him to arrive. Good luck these next few weeks. Love you.

Stephanie Salmon said...

So good to see you and your tiny belly on Saturday! Your dreams are hilarious. You'll love that you have them recorded. Not much longer left! For both of us. :)

Shantillylace said...

Good luck! You will be a great mom :)

Jess said...

Here is the thing...you are adorable. PLEASE tell me where you buy all your maternity clothes. Please.

AndeeandDrew said...

I am at work and started laughing so hard that I had to share your dreams with others. I hope your baby is as funny as you are! I love reading your posts!

allison said...

Oh I laughed out loud at some of these dreams you had. Especially the milk squirting...it does feel like that at times. haha. I wish we lived closer and we could get together often and talk about hilarious things. All kidding aside, you are going to be such a wonderful mother. And you look fabulous by the way, of course.

Unknown said...

You are so beautiful and I am excited for you two!!

Casey said...

And you thought you were just dreaming about that kind of leakage? You. Just. Wait!!

I can't believe you only have 3 weeks left. You've got the most amazing life in store for you. I'm thrilled for you and Russ!!

Brady and Jacquel said...

Oh, I just love reading your blog! You are so close! I wish you the best! Everything will go great! You will be such a fun mom!

ellenbush said...

HAHAHA Awesome dreams aubs, thanks for sharing. There will be a little Lee in a matter of weeks! Can't wait!!!

Diana, Jason, and Blake said...

I love reading your posts. You're so witty:). Congrats on your new little one! We are so excited for you!