Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back in the Saddle


School started this week. There is no A/C. I work on the second floor and there is no elevator. I am 35 and a half weeks pregnant. Am I insane?

Russell, Katie, and her boyfriend Rick helped me get my classroom ready. I mostly sat right in front of the fan and directed them on where to put things.

Things are off to a pretty good start. I don't know whether it's my three years of experience or my suddenly short fuse that is making me so good at nipping discipline problems in the bud. I have no problem laying down the law for my students - and they really don't want to mess with an enormous sweaty emotional woman that looks like she may have a breakdown at any moment (or go into early labor - that's what I have been threatening them with).

I have three fans in my room and there is a swamp cooler in the hallway. I keep the lights off, point one fan directly on me, and remind my poor students that it will start to cool down in a few weeks.

I teach part-time, which means that I don't start classes until 10 or 11 every day. Even though I am only been doing half of what I did last school year, it feels like a full load for me. I have no idea what I'd do with a full-time schedule. I come home every day at 3:30 and read and nap. I realize that this precious time to myself has an expiration date, so I am determined not to waste it.

Baby is due September 29, and I plan to work up until my due date. I will have six weeks of maternity leave, and I want to be able to spend as many of those with baby as possible.

I have all my lesson plans ready for the long-term substitute who will take my place. We have a crib, a carseat, a changing table, and curtains. Up next on my to-do list: get a pedicure, stop treating baby's room as a place to throw junk into and shut the door when people come over, and read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

5 comments:

Jess said...

You are SO CLOSE!! Although those last few weeks are hard...and NO AC!! Killer. Hang in there!

byufish said...

You've got the SYSTEM down....fans....my favorite....I'm not pregnant but for some strange reason I need one blowing on ME while I'm blow drying my hair....what a way to start every morning eh? Good luck and call me...seriously...I am always better at helping someone clean out a room than cleaning my own!!

Jason + Sarah said...

Um pretty sure I would die without A/C! Its 75 in my office right now and I'm dying haha. You are looking good girl! Can't wait to see your little bundle of joy!

allison said...

You've got it figured out! I can't believe you don't have AC, I would die. You are brave. I love your classroom, can I come to one of your classes? :) And you live it up with the naps girlfriend! And i already told you this, but you really should sleep when the baby sleeps. I didn't with Evie and I was dumb. Sleep makes a world of difference. Anyways, I meant to just comment on your blog. Nice!

*Brandi said...

I love Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It made all the difference with my little guys! I love the way you decorated your classroom! It makes me miss teaching. :)