Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good News

I taught my first French class today. At American Fork Junior High, my alma mater. It was a 30-minute lesson on French Cuisine. It turned out better than I expected (I think I expected to cry or wet my pants or run out of the room). The 9th graders were pretty nice to me and I tried not to take all their hormonal rambunctiousness too personally. They're just teenagers, after all. I brought some French baguettes for them to try in order to bribe them into complacency. They liked that (the bread, not being bribed into complacency).

The weather is beautiful today. The first bite of winter is in the air but while it's cold and crisp, it's also sunny. I work in an office with a huge window and when I look out it, I can see Rock Canyon looming in the distance, bright with the sun but enveloped in fog. It's beautiful.

Halloween is in two days. I hate Halloween because of the masks and gore and pranks and creepiness and death-related themes, but I am excited to have fun with friends and family. Russ and I have almost narrowed down what we are going to be. It's between two giant pumpkins (harmless and sweet, my idea) and Hitler and Stalin (weird and creepy, his idea).

And the best news of all...I drove myself to the school. Yes, people, I have finally conquered the stick shift. And I've only been with a guy who drives one for two years. Baby steps.

7 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

I'm excited to see what you show up as tomorrow!

Sara said...

BAHAHAHA. i love that we saw you on bulldog. hopefully that will be my office. way to go on the class lesson. I would have peed my pants. i love you guys.

Ryan + Jess said...

Baby steps is right. Way to focus on the positive! Good job on your first class. I bet you were terrific.

And you are a trooper for dressing up. Lucky for me my husband doesn't like to dress up either, so we are boring together :)

Elle Keeps Moving said...

Congratulations on your lesson. I hope you become a Michelle Pfiefer - Dangerous Minds-type role model for these kids.

Jessica said...

Aubs! Congratulations! You're doing your student teaching at AF? Very cool. I'm glad it went well. Good thinking with the baguettes. The first day of teaching is so scary. You'll charm those kids into learning french I'm sure.

Diane said...

Aubrey, I am sure you were really wonderful. All the boys have a new crush, and the girls want to be you!

Alarie said...

I wanted to be Hitler and Eva Braun, but my man thought it was not Kosher (no pun intended, really) to be someone who was actually evil. "But people are the Devil," was my argument: apparently he's not actually real? Whatever.
Good luck!