Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Triumph In The Face Of Tragedy

Just three days after woodwind instructor Heather Christensen was killed in a tragic bus accident, the American Fork High School Marching Band took the field at the Lavell Edwards Stadium. They dedicated their performance, entitled "The Greatest Generation," to Christensen and fallen World War II heroes.

American Fork was the last band of 25 to compete in the Rocky Mountain Regional Band Competition. They received a standing ovation from an unprecedented audience of nearly 8,000 people and the first-place prize in every category.

But that day wasn't about winning, for the band members or for anyone else. It was about coming together as a band and as a community to celebrate the life of this wonderful person who had sacrificed so much for her students.

The performance was a so fitting. For the final movement, the colorguard members changed quickly out of their blue jumpsuit uniforms and into all-white outfits. They then arranged themselves across the field and stood with their arms extended, tiny white crosses spread across the wide green field. It was truly a moving sight and a perfect tribute for Heather and for the WWII soldiers.

My brother Daniel is in the percussion pit. He plays the marimba. He has loved his experience as part of the marching band. I used to think marching band did not embody more than B.O., braces, and nerdiness. I have come to realize that it is a place where diverse kids can come together and make friends and play music and develop an identity. It is a place where they learn teamwork, discipline, leadership, and technical skill. This tragedy has given the students an opportunity to draw even closer together. I could see that in their show. Tuesday night was a performance unlike any I have ever seen, and one I will not soon forget.

2 comments:

Sara said...

It is such a sad story. I'm glad your brother is ok after the accident. Love you.

L.R.L said...

oh my word Aub, I didn't know your brother was in that accident. I'm glad he's okay too.

p.s. we were there on tuesday also, sad we didn't see you. It was powerful, I really liked it.