Monday, September 12, 2011

What We're Watching

One Day
I never ever pay full price for movies, unless it's Harry Potter. After I finished reading the life-changing book by David Nicholls, however, I couldn't not go see this movie right away. Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathaway? Romantic Scottish accents? Yes please. Russ went on a long run and I went to Cinemark and forked over $8.75 to watch this by myself. Even though the book is better (isn't it always?), I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a tender, simple, beautiful story of two people and their relationship over the course of twenty years. I laughed and cried a lot.

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
I read that this movie about Sophie Scholl, Germany's most famous anti-Nazi heroine, was amazing and won lots of awards. Russ and I love foreign films, so this came to us in our Netflix queue. I can't believe this is a true story. Sophie had incredible strength and courage to stand up for what her conscience told her was right. It's such an inspiring story, and it made me think about my values and what I would be willing to die for.

Mad Men
Several of our friends recommended this show to us, so we rented Season 1, Episodes 1-3 from Blockbuster for 99 cents. I'm glad we didn't pay any more for it. Mad Men, do you seriously expect me to believe that there wasn't a single conversation or relationship in the 1960s that wasn't riddled with misogyny and/or sexual innuendo? Why are your characters such rotten people? Not even one of them is likable. Don Draper showed promise at the beginning, and held out for an episode and a half, but quickly proved himself to be just as much of a scumbag as his disgusting co-workers. The most irritating part is that Russ and I are weirdly intrigued and we want to know what's in store for these dummies. Pathetic and embarrassing? Yes.

King Kong
I absolutely love this movie. I saw it ten times in the theaters (Yes, ten. That's thirty hours of my life). Every time I got asked out on a date and we went to the movies, I'd casually say, "Oh, I haven't seen the new King Kong yet" and that's what we'd see. I love Jack Black and Naomi Watts, I get totally freaked out by those indigenous people, I cry for King Kong when he's confused and upset in the city, and I think the fight scene with King Kong and the T-Rex is some of the best CGI I've ever seen. Russ loves it too, which is perfect, so we Netflixed it, and I enjoyed it for the fourteenth time just as much I did the first.

Bachelor Pad 2
This is definitely the most embarrassing show I watch. I don't have a TV, so I have to go to a friend's house or wait until Tuesday to watch it on Hulu. This show has been so entertaining and full of drama. Michelle Money! Russ and I both have a crush on her. Vienna and Jake in the same house! Kasey being a backstabbing jerk! Weirdo Ericka trying to seduce everyone! The Michael-Holly-Blake love triangle! Melissa acting so insecure and immature that I have chills of embarrassment! I can't wait for the finale.

Midway to Heaven
Nerdiness and cheesy lines know no bounds in this Mormon romantic comedy, which we only saw because we love Michelle Money. It's about some widower dad who is doing everything he can to prevent his only daughter from marrying Kirby Heyborne (wouldn't you do the same?).

Super 8
This movie was such a delight. We were so glad when something worthwhile finally came to the dollar theater (Seriously, Rio? Even if you stay there for six months, I won't see you). The bit with the alien was a bit contrived and sappy, but I really believed in the chemistry between Elle Fanning and Joel Courtney. They are the cutest couple since Kate and Leonardo. I also laughed my head off at all the banter between Joe and his pre-pubescent friends. Freaking hilarious.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I have yet to see bachelor pad, but I've seriously only heard good things :) and I'm going to have to get my hands on that Sophie movie. Love you guys

mj said...

Hilarious about the Bachelor pad show. My friend was watching it last week and I had chills of embarrassment for her. I completely agree with your Madmen review. Please can't one of those characters be likable so that I can enjoy the beauty of the mid-century costumes and sets? The answer is no. Better to watch it on mute.

Elise said...

We just started madmen and I don't understand it. They're all horrible men, it's not even funny, I can't stand Peggy's face, and they don't even end episodes on a cliffhanger... yet I still want to watch the next episode. It bugs me so much!

Mallory said...

I have yet to see "One Day" but I'm glad to hear a recommendation on your part. Because obviously if we can share an ipod for numerous bus rides in France, then naturally any film recommandations just go without saying. Also, WHY is that Bachelor/Bachelorette/and Bachelor Pad intriguing in every way?!? I cannot explain it. Nor can I deny it. haha Love you.

Diana said...

OH my gosh. Nick and I had the same experience with Mad Men. Sooooo over-hyped. Also, for being about advertising it's terribly slow and boring.

bonbon said...

Aubrey! I know you're impressed with my blog stalking skills! I've been trying to keep up with old friends in the major to see what they're up to and I found your blog. I love your posts and I am also a closet addict to Bachelor Pad!